I just have no room in my life for boredom.
There are so many different ab exercises other than crunches that can get you the toned & tightened midsection you want.
And most of the time, they’re way more effective. Crunches don’t engage the stability muscles in your core because you’re laying down the whole time. So you might feel like you’re getting a good workout, but there are so many muscles that aren’t being used!
There’s three major parts of our core: the transverse abdominis, the rectus abdominis, and the obliques.
We always focus on the rectus abdominis (AKA the six pack) and the obliques because, like I said before, we all want that toned stomach. But we never really think about the transverse abdominis, which is the muscle that wraps all the way around your midsection and is responsible for stability.
So today we’re saying BUH BUY to crunches and focusing on stability while tightening up those tummy muscles.
Each exercise in this workout is meant to help with our posture, alignment, stability, and strengthening the core (DUH).
Here we go….
FLAT TUMMY, CRUNCHLESS AB WORKOUT
SUMO SIDE BENDS (20 REPS EACH SIDE-ALTERNATING)
- Place your feet in a wide stance with both of your feet facing out at an angle. Bend your knees and sit deep into a squat, making sure that your knees are facing the same direction as your feet. Place both hands behind your head and open up your elbows, keeping your chest out.
- Bring your right elbow down toward the right leg, allowing a stretch along the left side of your obliques. Bring your torso back up, coming through center, then bring your left elbow down toward your right leg.
- Continue alternating between right and left until you have reached the desired number of repetitions.
WARRIOR ROTATIONS (20 REPS EACH SIDE)
- Place your feet in a wide stance with your back foot facing forward and your front foot facing sideways. Bend deep into the front knee, making sure the knee doesn’t go over the toe. Reach both arms out to to the side, attempting to make a straight line from finger tip to finger tip.
- Rotate your back arm towards your front arm and “clap” your hands together. Then open your arms back up.
- This movement is meant to be done at a slightly faster speed than normal.
- Repeat the motion for the desired number of repetitions on one side before moving to the next.
BIRD DOGS (20 REPS EACH SIDE-ALTERNATING)
- Start on all fours with on your shoulders in line with your hands and knees in line with your hips, while keeping your back flat.
- Raise your right arm and left leg up, reaching out until both limbs are in line with your torso. Hold this position for two seconds before bringing arm and leg down.
- Then repeat the exercise with your left arm and right leg.
- Continue to alternate between both sides until you’ve reached the desired number of repetitions.
PLANK POCKETS (20 REPS EACH SIDE-ALTERNATING)
- Position yourself in a plank, with your shoulders directly over your hands and your abs pulled in.
- While keeping the plank position, bring your right hand up to your right hip, so that your elbow is facing the sky.
- Bring your right hand back down and repeat the motion with the left hand.
- Continue to alternate between the right and left side until you’ve reached the desired number of repetitions.
PLANK HIP ROTATIONS (20 REPS EACH SIDE-ALTERNATING)
- Start in a low plank position (supporting yourself on your elbows) with your abs pulled in.
- While keeping your chest and shoulders parallel to the ground, rotate your hips to one side, almost touching the ground.
- Bring your hips back up, through center, then continuing on to the other side.
- Continue alternating between the right and the left until you’ve reached the desired number of repetitions.
SUPERMANS (20 REPS)
- Start by lying face down on the floor, with your arms fully extended in front of you.
- Raise your upper body and legs off of the floor at the same time. Then hold the position for 2 seconds.
- Slowly lower your upper body and chest back down to the starting position.
I repeated this entire routine 6 times and let me tell ya, I was SWEATING and my abs were on fire.
TRUST ME. It’s a good one.
If you liked this workout and want more, then check out my workout index!