I’m back in Oklahoma visiting my fam for the holidays and being with family just makes me think of breakfast.
I have so many happy memories of my parents making Texas style breakfasts (aka massive), especially during the holidays. I hold a special place in my heart for breakfast foods. Scrambled eggs, french toast, hash browns, bacon (SO much bacon), cinnamon rolls. But pancakes were definitely the statement in our household.
Breakfast game changer.
Did I mention how fluffy they are?
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp white or apple cider vinegar (Super important!! It gives the pancakes their “fluffiness”)
- pinch stevia, or 1 1/2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup milk of choice (Decrease by 2 tbsp if using maple syrup)
- 1 tbsp oil OR more milk of choice
- 1/2 cup spelt, white, or Arrowhead Mills gf flour
- 3 tbsp rolled oats
- scant 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Blueberries are optional
HOW – TO:
- Add all the wet ingredients into a bowl, whisk together, and let the mixture sit for about ten minutes.
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, then add the two mixtures together and whisk until you form a batter.
- For extra fluffiness, let the batter sit in the fridge for 10-15 minutes before cooking.
- In a skillet over medium heat, drop small ladles of batter and when the edges look dry, flip the pancakes.
- Cook it for one additional minute before taking the pancake off the skillet.
And the best part? Four pancakes is under 300 calories! I die. My girl, Katie, is a genius. You can even add some protein powder if you’re like me and can never get enough protein in your diet. The struggle is real. #carbloverforlife. LOLz.
I love finding healthier alternatives to my favorite foods because it makes eating clean that much easier. Eating healthy doesn’t need to be hard, and low cal, oh-so-fluffy pancakes makes the healthy-to-yum ratio on point.
So all in all, I think I found our knew Meek Fam breakfast staple!
If you want more yum-o recipes, check them out here. What’re your go-to healthy alternatives?