It’s day ONE of the New Year Shape Up Series and I could not be more excited to get sweaty with you babes! Before you start this workout program, make sure you take a before picture. Y’all know how I feel about scales…they aren’t a great way to track progress. But being able to physically see a difference in your body is total proof of progress!
So take a before picture, you don’t have to show anyone. It’s just for YOU.
But let’s get to the workout, shall we?
So here’s how to do it:
And there’s no better body part to start with on Mondays than LEGS. So we’re going to get thos buns & thighs burning today!
Make sure y’all SNAP me (UN: Kennedy_Meek) during your workout, I love to see your sweaty faces! Good luck!
Reverse Lunge with Knee Lift (10 Reps Each Side)
- Stand with your feet together and your shoulders back with two dumbbells on either side of you.
- Step backward with your left leg (about 2 feet away from your front leg) and lower yourself down so that your knees make a 90° angle. Make sure to keep your front knee behind with your toes.
- Push through the heel of your right foot to stand up and drive your left knee upwards towards your chest.
- Bring your left foot back down to the ground and repeat the movement.
Broad Jump (15 Reps)
- Place your feet about shoulders width apart.
- Keep the weight in your heels as you bend at the knees, performing a traditional squat.
- Shift your weight to the balls of your feet as your extend your knees and jump forward.
- Land with bent knees (back into a traditional squat) with your weight on your heels.
- You can either turn facing the opposite direction and perform the exercise back towards where you started, OR you can continue in a straight line (if space permits) until you’ve reached your desired number of repetitions.
Lateral Lunge (10 Reps Each Side)
- Stand with your feet wide, resting your dumbbells on your shoulders.
- Start by bending your right knee, making sure to keep your knee in line with your toe and to sit your glutes back.
- Sit deep into this position before pushing through your right heel to come back to start.
- Then repeat the movement on the left leg.
- Continue to alternate between the right & left legs until you’ve reached your desired number of repetitions.
Jump Squat (20 Reps)
- Place you feet shoulder width apart, arms in a comfortable position. My arms (in the picture) are placed by my side and bent at the elbow.
- Begin to bend your knees and get into a squatting position (as if performing a normal squat). Be aware of keeping your back straight, hips back, and your knees in line with your big toe.
- Jump upwards as hard as you can!!!!
- Land with bent legs to avoid back injuries. Knees in line with your big toe, hips back, and back straight (just like the starting position).
Sumo Alternating Heel Raises (10 Reps Each Side)
- Start in a sumo squat position with your dumbbells in hand, resting on your shoulders.
- Continue to push your knees back as far as possible and raise your right heel off of the ground.
- Lower your right heel down and repeat the movement with your left heel.
- Continue alternating between the right and left heels until you’ve reached your desired number of repetitions.
Alternating Jump Lunges (20 Reps)
- Place both feet about hips-width apart with your shoulders back and chest out. Put your hands on your hips and take a large step forward with your right foot.
- Bend both knees to about a 90 Degree angle, making sure that your front knee is in line with your big toe. DO NOT let your knee fall forward (can cause knee injury).
- Jump upwards from this position, switching your legs in the air so that you land with your left foot forward and your right foot behind you.
- Make sure you land with the same 90 Degree angle in each knee and your front knee in line with your big toe.
- Repeat the same sequence with your left foot forward and so on.
Burpees (10 Reps)
- Bend over and place your hands on the floor in front of you, just outside of your feet.
- Jump with both feet back so that you’re in a push-up position.
- Jump your feet forward, back toward the hands.
- Plant both feet firmly on the ground before you stand up straight.
GOOD LUCK, babes. And I’ll see ya back here tomorrow with Day 2 of the New Year Shape Up Series!