LAST DAY of the week, babes! Can you believe you are 1/4 of the way done with the New Year Shape Up Series? How are you liking it so far? Are you feeling worked and sweaty? Because I am! And since I’m pairing the NY Shape Up Series with my 30-day yoga challenge, I’m definitely feeling toned this New Year.
So today is all about cardio. If you hadn’t noticed, there’s not any cardio built into this workout program, mainly because we are trying to build lean muscle mass. But today we are spiking that heart rate with a plyometric workout!
You’ll find yourself out of breath MUCH more with this workout than with the previous 4, but don’t be worried! It’s supposed to be that way. Make sure to take DEEP breaths and longer rests if needed!
So here we go!
This workout consists of 2 circuits. Set a timer for 10 minutes and perform the first circuit as many times as you can in those 10 minutes. Take a 1-minute break and repeat the process with the second circuit. After you have finished both circuits, take a 2-5 minute break and repeat the entire process over again. The overall workout should take no more than 1 hour to complete.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart with your hands on your hips.
- Bend your left knee and knee so that your foot goes back towards your glutes (basically kicking your butt) then bring it back down.
- As your left foot comes back towards the ground, your right knee will simultaneously so that your right foot is not kicking your butt.
- Alternate between left and right until you’ve reached your desired number of repetitions.
Sumo Jump Squats (20 Reps)
- Place your feet farther than hips width apart in a sumo squat stance (toes pointed out).
- Begin to bend your knees and get into a sumo squatting position (as if performing a standard sumo squat). Be aware of keeping your back straight, hips tucked under, and your knees pushed back so that they are in line with your heels.
- Jump upwards as hard as you can!!!!
- Land with bent legs to avoid back injuries. Land in a sumo squat position again with you feet wide and turned out, knees pushed back, and back flat.
Tuck Jumps (10 Reps)
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Start by doing a regular squat, then engage your core and jump up explosively.
- As you jump up, bring your knees towards your chest to perform a tuck in the air.
- Land with soft knees and perform another squat to repeat the movement.
High Knees (40 Reps)
- Stand straight with the feet hip width apart, looking straight ahead and arms hanging down by your side.
- Jump from one foot to the other at the same time lifting your knees as high as possible, hip height is advisable.
- The arms should be following the motion.
- Touch the ground with the balls of your feet.
Speed Skaters (20 Reps)
- Get in a normal standing position and take a large step to the right, sweeping your left leg behind your right leg and your left hand touching your right toe.
- Front this position, push through your right foot to jump up, making a “star” position in the air and land with your left foot forward, reversing the original position.
- Hop between the left and right side until you’ve reached your desired number of repetitions.
Burpees (10 Reps)
- Bend over and place your hands on the floor in front of you, just outside of your feet.
- Jump with both feet back so that you’re in a push-up position.
- Jump your feet forward, back toward the hands.
- Explosively jump into the air, reaching your arms straight overhead.
This will totally get your heart pumping and the sweat running! I’m going to squeeze this workout in before yoga today, for sure.
After today, you have a 2-day break over the weekend before Week 2 starts up! So I suggest taking those days as active recovery. You might be a little sore at this point, so doing things like yoga or hiking or even just stretching in front of your TV will be really great for your body. And it’ll get your ready for Week 2!
Be on the look-out this weekend for a NEW recipe (hint: breakfast!!!!) and my thoughts on balance (and trust me, I have a lot of them. HA!). So much more to come for 2017, and I’m so pumped to share it all with you!