Happy Monday, fit babes!
I hope everyone had a restful and recovered weekend. I know I needed it after last week’s workouts, I was so sore! Especially after Friday. So I did a lot of stretching and yoga to help balance it out. Plus I made some AMAZING breakfast muffins that will be on the blog later today!
Well, we made it through Week 1 of the New Year Shape Up Series, not it’s time to kick some butt in Week 2! We’re stepping it up a notch this week, attacking some different muscles in your body and definitely amping up the difficulty. You’ll really be relying on your stability and core strength as a lot of exercises today involve only one leg at a time. So there’s going to be a lot of shaking in your muscles, don’t worry! It’s normal if not necessary!
Get ready to BURN and tone those gorgeous legs of yours, here we go!
This workout consists of 2 circuits. Set a timer for 10 minutes and perform the first circuit as many times as you can in those 10 minutes. Take a 1-minute break and repeat the process with the second circuit. After you have finished both circuits, take a 2-5 minute break and repeat the entire process over again. The overall workout should take no more than 1 hour to complete.
- Place you feet shoulder width apart, arms in a comfortable position. My arms (in the picture) are placed by my side and bent at the elbow.
- Begin to bend your knees and get into a squatting position (as if performing a normal squat). Be aware of keeping your back straight, hips back, and your knees in line with your big toe.
- Jump upwards as hard as you can!!!!
- Land with bent legs to avoid back injuries. Knees in line with your big toe, hips back, and back straight (just like the starting position).
Single Leg Glute Bridge (15 Reps Each Side)
- Lay down on the floor with your feet flat on the ground and your knees bent.
- Raise one leg off the ground, bringing your knee towards your chest.
- Push through the heel of your foot that is on the ground, extend your hips upwards and lift your glutes off of the ground. Remember to squeeze at the top.
- Extend as far upwards as you can, then return to starting position.
Split Squats (15 Reps Each Side)
- Start by standing 2 to 3 feet away with your back facing the your platform. Move one foot back and rest your toe on the toe on the chair or step that you’re using. Hold your dumbbells on either side of you.
- Keeping your chest upright, lower yourself down until your thigh is parallel to the ground. Make sure your knee is in line with your toes.
- Push through your heel and contract your glutes to stand back up.
Plank Leg Lifts (20 Reps Alternating)
- Start in a plank position, with your feet resting on your step or chair, making sure that your shoulders are in line with your wrists. Engage your core muscles and keep a flat back.
- Lift your right foot off of the platform, bringing your heel upwards. Make sure to keep your leg straight.
- Squeeze your glutes until your leg has gone as far upwards as it can.
- Return your right foot to the platform and repeat on the left leg. Alternate between both legs until you’ve reached your desired number of repetitions.
Single Leg Dead Lift (15 Reps Each Side)
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand, resting by your sides. Shift your weight to your right leg so that your left leg can move freely.
- Keep the knee just slightly bent as you perform a stiff legged dead lift. Bend at the hip and extend your free leg behind you, keeping a straight light in your body from your shoulders to your extended leg.
- Continue lowering the dumbbells towards the ground until you feel a nice stretch in the back of you standing leg. Hold the position for 2 seconds before you return to start.
Lateral Lunge to Knee Up (15 Reps Each Side)
- Stand with your feet wide apart and your dumbbells resting on your shoulders.
- Sit your butt back as you bend your right leg so that your are in a lateral lunge on the right side. Keep your left leg straight as you bend your right leg.
- Push through your heel on your right leg to bring yourself back towards the center. While you return to the center, bring your knee up towards your chest. Then extend the leg out back to a wide stance and repeat on the right side before moving to the left.
Sumo Squat to Press (15 Reps)
- Position your legs in a wide stance with you feet pointed outwards. Rest your dumbbells on your shoulders in each hand.
- Squat down into a sumo squat position, making sure to actively push your knees back.
- As you push through your heel and contract your glutes to stand back up, press your dumbbells overhead.
- Bring your dumbbells back down before performing another sumo squat.
Step Ups (15 Reps Each Side)
- Stand in front of the chair or step that you will be using with your feet pointing straight ahead, about hips width apart. Hold your dumbbells in each hand.
- Engage your core muscles, keep your shoulders back and your chest out as you contract your glutes to bring one foot on to the step.
- Push through your heel with the foot on the step to stand straight up, while driving your other knee upwards towards your chest.
- Reverse the movement: last foot on, first foot off. Remember to keep good posture throughout the entire sequence.
We’re going to be SORE tomorrow, that’s for sure. Which is great because we’re tackling arms tomorrow!
Good luck & talk soon.